Sunday, January 13, 2008

Obsolete Technology

It was 1975 and a spotty 15-year old boy was intently studying a photograph in a glossy magazine. Late at night and under the bed clothes with a torch, I couldn't sleep for thinking about running my hands over that curvaceous teletype, flipping those toggle switches and thrilling to the little red lights flickering on and off...



The magazine in question was Scientific American and the object of my lust was the IMSAI 8080. I never did get my hands on one - though I did my fair share of toggling bootstrap loaders into similar machines (mainly a PDP-8 with core memory and rather worn out front-panel switches.)

The Obsolete Technology site provides a fascinating journey through the first 18 years of personal computing. With lots of photos, information, specifications and old adverts that bring the memories come flooding back. I was amazed to find that I had owned or extensively used thirteen of the featured machines… and spent hours daydreaming about a lot more besides.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

you didn't miss anything with the switches. it was pretty boring really and very tedious.

frogplate said...

True, toggling the boot-strap loader into the PDP-8 could be rather tedious - especially as it was so old that some of the toggle switches had to be waggled a few times to get the lights to come on - but it felt more 'real' than modern computing.

Most of the programming I do these days is in Java running in a virtual machine on top of a massive operating system on a server cluster that I've never even seen. Somehow loading individual registers bit by bit still has a certain appeal...