Friday, January 25, 2008

Asus EEE PC 4G Black and Linuxy

I've finally given into the lust and ordered an Asus EEE PC 4G. Still missing the old Psion Series 5, never being able to afford the Series 7 and having briefly being excited by the Palm Foleo it was only a matter of time before I gave into the EEE's Linuxy charms.

So I now have ten days to buy an SDHC or two, find a case and decide what I'm going to install on it. This one is going to remain with Xandros and will probably spend most of its time running VIM. My only concern is that it doesn't use a firewall by default. All my Unix experience has been with corporate Web servers so promiscuous WiFi and Linux without a firewall is all new to me. I'm happy that at home with a router will be safe enough, but out on the streets...

By the way TweakTown has an interesting disassembly of the beast.

No comments: