Friday, January 4, 2008

E61 Projekt Revisited

My initial excitement on buying a Nokia E61 soon after it first appeared in the UK was quickly dampened on first contact with its built-in PIM software. Here was the spiritual successor to the Psion Series 5 with a To-do manager that was barely usable. I was bitterly disappointed.

I had been hoping to move my GTD management from Shadow Plan on a Palm to the E61 in the expectation that the built-in keyboard would be much quicker than Palm Graffiti. I looked at a wide range of third party Symbian PIM applications over the following weeks, and Kylom's Projekt came closest to my needs. However I found its user interface to lack consistency and to be somewhat fiddly to use. It just didn't feel 'right'.

So ever since the E61 has languished as a (very good) mobile e-mail and Web terminal and I've continued to carry around the old Palm Tungsten.

Well, the Palm's digitiser is beginning to show signs of age, so it is time to take another look at Projekt. Initial impressions of version 1.10 are very encouraging. The user interface has a tight, slick feel and seems to require fewer keystrokes than before for the main functions. I was quickly able to create a small tree of information and to-do nodes without recourse to the manual.

Over the next few days I'm going to transfer my Shadow Plan data to Projekt and give it some serious exercise - though I already suspect that I'll be parting with €24.95 in the near future.

No comments: